Bits and Bobs

Hannah in normal fast asleep pose

 It's now just over 2 years since we took Hannah into our family and she's made quite an impression. Distinctly different in nature from the two boys we already had (Mitch and Fraser) she is very independent and she lives life on her terms. The oldest of our three she's 11 this year whereas the boys are 7 (Fraser) and 9 (Mitch). Having said that she's often has the most energy of the three and she likes to lead the way when we go walking. Not a bad characteristic for a Greyhound I guess!

She's now showing signs of arthritis in her hind legs, not uncommon in Greyhounds as they get older we're told, and she certainly seems to feel the cold a bit more than she used to I think. Still, she makes her presence known when it's late afternoon and tea time comes around as well as coming into our bedroom in the mornings when it's time to get up and let them out. I think she has a better life now than she would have normally had which makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!


 

At last - A Speedie in the family

Over the years I've been fortunate enough to own a number of Triumph motorcycles. To be honest I love 'em and they are a British brand to boot (Though almost all their bikes are made in Thailand nowadays - Though if that maintains quality levels and keeps them competitive on price then I'm happy with that) so all's good. One model however that I've never had the opportunity to own is their Speed Triple model. 

This has been a staple of their range since the mid 1990s and has consistently proven to be one of their best selling machines. For good reason too as it combines nimble handling, lots of real world grunt (Read effortless overtakes for instance) as well as mean looks that give it a certain attitude. Fellow biker friends of mine, I'm thinking of you Steve Reeve and Andy Davey, have owned their own examples and now it's finally my turn.

This one is a 2012 model with the 'Foxeye' headlights as well as ABS and that lovely 1050 Triumph motor, here in 133Bhp guise. That's enough to be getting along with me thinks and I enjoyed a two-day trip back home from Auckland with it last week when I collected it from Holeshot motorcycles in Barry's Point Road on the North Shore. Despite the weather not really playing ball I really enjoyed the ride and I'm delighted to say that, despite having the standard exhaust system fitted it still has that lovely pop and burble on the overrun. I'd forgotten how much I miss that with my other bikes. It's as though someone at Triumph realised that such features create a real visceral appeal for your average biker (If there is such a thing) and that they'd enjoy that feature even though there's no tangible benefit to having it. 



That lovely exhaust system after lots of cleaning!

I suspect that the bike's had a mature owner previously judging by the accessories that have been fitted to it. Things such as a Ventura luggage rack, heated grips and paint protection all speak of someone more interested in keeping the bike nice than having it make lots of noise. I'm looking forward to getting out and about on it more in the coming weeks and months and I'll report more when I've gotten to know it a little better.

In other news my LWOP (Now in week 3) is going nicely. I've started waking up at slightly more normal times instead of my customary 0500 each day and the dogs are enjoying having Dad at home a lot more. Right now as I type this they are all asleep here in the lounge enjoying the fact that they don't have to be outside in the autumnal weather.

Speaking of which we are now down to single digit figures most night here at home. Blenheim is known as having some of the highest sunshine hour figures in New Zealand and we are fortunate to have mild weather even in Winter most of the time. That and the fact that the grape harvesting season is all but over means that things are back to their more cruisey normal once more and the dogs don't get scared by the constant bird scaring devices going off in all the surrounding vineyards all day long. Apparently good old scarecrows don't do the trick any more.

Right - I'll sign off as I need to go and collect Emma from one business meeting and take her to another. Being a House Hubby is non-stop I can tell you!

Take care and I'll write more again soon.






Comments

  1. Congrats on your latest acquisition Lee and very nice it looks too. You seem to be making excellent use of your leave! Yes, that popping on the over-run is music to the ears and I lost it on the KTM when I changed from the OEM can to a carbon one. However, the overall tone helps to compensate. Enjoy that lovely autumnal weather down south - often the best time for riding on 2 wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As skways nice entry and a joy to look at....I am pretty sure after the MOT on my 2006 Speed Triple I will not want to part with it.....see how it goes I suppose.
    I managed a couple of hours last night on the Sprint GT and being a Wednesday night there were plenty of like minded two wheel nodding buddies out and about. Stay safe and enjoy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bike looking good Lee, hope you're not too cramped on it! 😄. I've got aftermarket cans on both mine, mainly for the noise. I still have green eyes regarding your roads and scenery!! I'm managing to get out a couple of times a week now, but weather is still v cool with the odd frost at night.
    Glad that you've adjusted to LWOP, hopefully you'll be able to relate to the retirement vibe I keep boring you with! Make the most of it, and maybe get adventurous with the cooking......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian

      Yep - There'll be more to come on the Speedie in the coming weeks. I'll try to get some pictures and I have indeed helped Emma out with the cooking once or twice, believe it or not.

      I'm glad that I went for a 2011-onwards model as I prefer to have ABS if at all possible and the price was decent too so I'm a happy bunny. It feels quite analogue compared to the MV I had but that is no bad thing in my book.

      I hope that your planned trips come to fruition this year. I look forward to hearing about them in due course.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Singapore

Making some changes

Out and about with Oscar