Making some changes

 


Well hello there - Welcome to my next blog this week coming to you from our beautiful home here in Tuamarina after having been out and about in some of the more picturesque parts of our region. Above you can see a picture of Elaine Bay, some 17Km further on from Okiwi Bay which I showed you in previous posts.

I went there today with the Institute of Advanced Motorists Top of the South group (TOTS for short) on one of our fairly regular social rides. We had a few more come along today too which was nice to see. Plus the weather really played ball all day. It was just right being in the mid-20s with a slight breeze to prevent things becoming too warm. Perfect.

These rides are good for a whole bunch of reasons. They help improve my mental health, somewhat vital for me at the moment as work has been getting me down for some time, they get me out and about seeing even more of the area we live in, they help keep my riding sharp and they sometimes allow others to join the cause. Riding better is the aim of the game with these groups - Better doesn't always mean quicker and I've always aimed to do my machines justice by riding them smoothly whilst making surefooted progress. A bit like the swan analogy of smooth on the surface but having to work at it underneath!


This second picture shows the small car park area next to the boat fueling area where we stopped and enjoyed a bite to eat. The views are fabulous and it's the sort of place that makes you glad to be alive quite frankly. This whole area is filled with holiday homes (Or baches as they are referred to here in NZ) and one can easily see how you could become enchanted by such a place. It has a vibe that your senses can get a hook onto and life just slows down that little bit.

Cracking roads to get there too!



Here's my 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 which I've owned for over 3 years now. I bought it new and it comes out to play on days like today. It's one of my 'Keepers' and I simply love riding it. Especially when the roads allow you to have some fun like the ones we rode today do. One could almost say it makes you come across all spiritual some times when you're riding along and enter the 'Zone'. Some of you will know what I mean - It's hard to accurately articulate but it's a thing and it's one of the reasons I'll continue to ride as long as humanly possible.

On a separate note - And the reason for the title of this blog is that I've decided to take some 9 months of Leave without Pay (LWOP) this year, starting at the end of Mar. The plan is to do some more riding to places that I've not been to before, do some soul searching, gain my motorcycle instructor qualification as well as spend some more time at home with my beautiful wife and gorgeous Greyhounds.

I've been thinking about stepping off the career treadmill for some time now and this seems to be the best time to do so. My current role in the Navy has been testing for a number of reasons and, to be frank, I'm just not doing the role justice as I'm not enjoying it. In fact I haven't been enjoying work for quite a while now and I need to do something to change that. Quite what that something is I'm not 100% sure but taking time out seems like a good place to start. 

Let me know if you think the same way or have had similar thoughts.

Till next time stay safe, healthy and in touch.

Yours,  

Comments

  1. Great riding, great bike Lee. The Thruxton is one of the lovliest bikes around. With respect to the future, I think that events of the last year has triggered more serious thought than we might otherwise give. Our younger son has just tendered his resignation as operations manager for a food company without the security of another job to go to at present. Lunatic company owner with zero concern for his staff and our son puts his mental health first. Really proud of him. Every good wish for the break helping to clarify things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff

      Thanks - The Thruxton is a keeper as I said and I simply love riding it. As for the future - That's up to me to determine now and a break seems like the right thing to do. I'm fed up of having this glorious place to live in and never feeling as though I have the time to really do it justice and get to know it better.

      Delete
  2. Your writings are familiar territory, even if many won't have the option of LWOP to ponder the next move. Enjoy the peace and quiet for a bit, reflect and reset priorities, forge a new path with enthusiasm after that. You'll have enough wise heads in the IAM sphere to give advice or pass comment on motorcycle instructing as a front line or side line occupation. Enjoy the break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob

      Thanks for the words of encouragement. Now that Emma and I are mortgage free and Em's business is self-sustaining now seems to be as good a time as any to go and do something different. Plus I turn 48 in a week or two's time which is getting rather close to the big 50. I don't want to get there wishing that I'd done this sooner. Plus a few things have happened in recent months that has caused me to pause and reflect on the meaning of life and what's important.

      Delete
  3. So proud of you for following your heart and making this call, and, yes, KEEP the Thruxton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee,

    I echo the sentiments above, you only get one shot at life! there are a few things I would have like to have tried but didn't have the courage to go through with them so I wish you all the best in whichever path you choose to go along.

    I'm having serious bike/weather/scenery envy 😭, we've had so much rain here I'm thinking of building an ark - big enough to put my bikes in 😁. Our lockdown is set for another month so I'm itching for some freedom after that!

    Norton are on the cusp of production again, I wonder if you'll be tempted when they filter down to NZ?.....Looks now to be a better product under Indian management than the early days!

    Enjoy your break, hope it works out for you and Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian

      Good to hear from you as always. Yes the weather has been very kind to us recently and last weekend's ride was a cracker. Here's hoping that your lockdown ends soon.

      As the Law of Sod dictates I've had a couple of job opportunities come up at work (At least one of which would see me promoted to CDR) since submitting my application to go on Leave Without Pay (LWOP). I've held firm thus far as I reckon that I still need the break but it's always the way don't you find?

      I'll try and get a photo of the fleet soon - Promise!

      Delete
  5. When you have been in the armed forces for a long time I think it can get a bit stale. I also think there comes a time and yes it is all about age.......when constantly changing jobs and just being expected to drop everything and go isn't that appealing any more.
    I must say as well that one goes to New Zealand to find a different lifestyle and working endlessly away from home is not what that 'dream' was all about. Let's face it you could have stayed in the UK been promoted and done that.
    I do however commend the RNZN that they have allowed this approach. You will gain much from this experience and undoubtedly you will come out the other side with a set way ahead. I have a feeling that it might be time for you to 'hang up the Kit Bag'....but this defineately is the best way to ensure that your mental health, you and Emma and of course the dogs remain the most important thing on your lust

    ReplyDelete
  6. And for lust at the bottom please read list....however it is all very exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life in Singapore

Out and about with Oscar